From a single piece of equipment to a whole fleet, a Pre-Operational inspection of your equipment is a necessity on a daily basis. This OSHA Forklift Pre-Operational Inspection Checklist will help keep your equipment, workers, and your company safe from any potential harms.
OSHA has strict guidelines in which they spell out exactly what they expect when using Powered Industrial Equipment in regards to safety, and correct operations of equipment.
In accordance to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178(q)(7), which states “Industrial trucks shall be examined before being placed in service, and shall not be placed in service if the examination shows any condition adversely affecting the safety of the vehicle. Such examination shall be made at least daily.” Combined with increased fines & penalties from OSHA for not following their regulations, the need to follow a simple Pre-Operational checklist will need to be a top priority at any company.
Some of the critical inspections that OSHA recommends for safe operations:
- Check for any fluids that may be present on the floor which may suggest cracked hoses
- Check fluid levels for oil, hydraulic fluid, coolant, and water in batteries (if applicable)
- Inspect the tire condition by checking for any balding spots, cracks, cuts, or gouges in tires that need to be addressed
- Check the condition of the forks including the top clip retaining pin and heel
- Confirm backrest extension is working properly
- Ensure all warning decals and plates are in place and legible
- Confirm that the operational manual is present on forklift and is legible
- Affirm that the operator’s area is clear of debris that could interfere with operations
- Be sure all safety gear (seat belt, back up alarm, horn) is in working order
Using these safety points as well as a Pre-Operational Checklist any operator or company can be sure that their Powered Industrial Trucks are up to all safety standards set by OSHA.
For a printable checklist to keep on your Powered Industrial Trucks, view our Weekly Industrial Truck Pre-Operational Checklist.
Have more questions about Forklift maintenance and inspections? Contact one of our service experts at Fallsway.com.