Due to an amendment made to the Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act of 1990, OSHA fines will increase for the first time in over 25 years. With this change being made OSHA is in the final processes to initiate the ruling starting in 2016. It is projected that the rates will go up 70 -80% from where they currently are set. This law compensates for the stoppage of penalty increases that had been in place for the last quarter century.
OSHA was originally created back in 1971 as a way to make the work place a safer environment for all employees and guests. As this change takes effect it is more vital than ever to have your employees properly trained and certified on forklift safety. The price of proper training will far out weigh the price of these increased OSHA fines that could occur.
As the winter months are quickly approaching, many are beginning to get their businesses ready for the changing weather conditions. Taking care of priorities such as snow removal, salting parking lots and making sure all heaters are cleaned and ready to go. But many forget one very important item that needs to be ready for winter as well, and that is prepping the forklifts and all other material handling machines.
Taking care of your material handling machines before the frigid temperature arrive is a must. Often times, preparing your forklift for the winter months is not on your first to-do list, more of an afterthought after something goes wrong.
There are many issues that can arise by not properly getting your forklift cold-weather ready, such as leaks in tubing, dead batteries and cracked radiators. It is also important to note that in the winter months; it is easier for your forklift to overheat than in the summer weather. Checking the freezing point of your antifreeze to ensure it is not too low is a great place to start before the harsh weather hits, but it is not always enough to protect your machines. With the winterizing services that Fallsway Equipment can provide, most of these issues are preventable.
To help make these non-issues, we are able to include all of these adjustments in our regularly scheduled planned maintenance programs. In our planned maintenance program, the certified technicians that come to you, will give your forklift a full servicing every 500 hours to make sure that your machines are continuing to run at its peak performance. As mentioned above, it is during these planned maintenance times that adjustments can be made for the winter months as well. Preventative maintenance such as this will help keep your operating costs low and prevent downtime due to larger repairs such as damaged radiators or cracked tubing caused from the changing weather conditions.
Fallsway Equipment Company is excited to announce that a new demo of the Kalmar DCG 160-6 forklift is now available. For those jobs that need a little more power than the average lift this Kalmar is able to provide all the assistance needed. Some of the specifications on this incredible unit include:
2015 Kalmar DCG 160-6
Capacity- 36,000 lbs
EGO Cabin (Air conditioning)
157 in reach
This new Kalmar is designed, tested, and proven to be at the top of its class. Don’t just take our word, check out the video below to see for yourself before setting up your demo.
Please contact Fallsway Equipment if you you would like to set up a personal demo of the Kalmar lift truck, or if you have any additional questions.
In the effort of continuous improvement, Jungheinrich has recently announced a few updates to three of its machines. These machines and updates are described below.
Jungheinrich EFG 535k-S50:
The updated mast offers better visibility and is now consistent with the Jungheinrich® EFG 2, 3 and 4 series models. Selected mast heights have been adjusted to better meet customer requirements.
EKX 514-516k-516 Series Turret Trucks:
New Models, New Design
The new 3,000-3,500 lb. capacity turret truck models can reach maximum fork heights up to 689 inches, work in 66 inch wide aisles and offer automated performance that contribute to these units being the most efficient man-up turret trucks available in the market.
EZS C40 Tow Tractor:
New Model Added To EZS 350 Series
The 8,800 lb. capacity EZS C40 tow tractor is designed with a shorter chassis for better right angle stack (RAS) and Super Elastic (SE) tires to be standard. These tow tractors are also built with increased ground clearance, which provides a more comfortable ride for operators. Other productivity-enhancing features include high energy efficiency with a maintenance-free AC drive motor, precise control with electric steering, including JetPilot that allows for better maneuverability and controlled cornering with Curve Control. Additionally, the EZS C50 features SpeedControl, the smooth electronic control system, which is ideal for increased command.
We are extremely excited about these updates because we feel that they bring added value to an already outstanding product.
Feel free to contact us at 330-633-6000 with any questions regarding these updates!
As this week comes to an end, so does the Fallsway / MHEDA video series. These videos were aimed at educating and refreshing our customers on a wide variety of material handling topics. Below is a quick recap on a few important notes from each video.
Innovations in Electric Trucks
• Electric forklifts now make up 60% of the market.
• Environmental concerns, government regulations and advances in performance and AC technology are just a few of the reasons electric trucks have become so popular.
• Paying a higher upfront cost for an electric lift truck can mean saving money when it comes to long-term maintenance compared to an IC truck.
Operations-Training, Tips and Techniques
• Providing OSHA standardized training on all machines and work environments is required.
• Inspections of all machines prior to each shift are vital to safety.
• Maintaining a safe load size is crucial for the overall safety of both the operator and the machine.
Proper Maintenance and Cleaning
• Follow the maintenance schedule that is outlined in the truck’s operation manual. This will help keep the truck performing at its highest potential.
• A daily pre-start inspection is not only good for the forklift but it is also key to the safe operation of the forklift.
• Taking the time to properly clean your forklift can help minimize downtime caused by contamination due to debris from the application.
• Safe work environments are critical to the health of your business. They help to minimize damage to your assets, whether these are people, products or equipment.
• It is imperative that anyone who is going to operate a forklift is trained and certified in operating that piece of equipment.
• Always be sure to follow the rules and guidelines set by your company, the government and the manufacturer.
Selecting the Right Forklift
• Business today means operating in real time. Your customers demand speed and accuracy when it comes to their orders. Your forklift equipment has a direct impact on your company’s ability to meet these expectations.
• Some key questions to ask yourself before choosing a forklift: What am I using this forklift for and where is it going to be used? What are my maximum capacities and lift requirements? Is it better for me to lease or own my equipment?
• Answering these few questions will help you better decide what the right forklift is for your organization.
Warehouse Productivity Factors
• Warehouse layout and design is extremely important to the productivity of your business. Your material handling equipment may require you to work in specific aisle sizes and ceiling heights in order to properly handle your load.
• The modern lift truck can be customized to help you best accomplish the goals of your business. Whether this is an attachment that will increase efficiency in handling your loads, added lights and warning devices or just ergonomic upgrades to raise the level of comfort for your operators.
• Communication is key if you are managing multiple fleets and people, this is why you should consider investing in an effective fleet management system. With this system you will be able to track costs, create maintenance schedules, track equipment and operator performance, and determine your optimum fleet size.
To learn more about any of these topics please click on the appropriate link to be redirected to the full video.
Please contact us directly at 330-633-6000 with any questions.
For over 60 years Jungheinrich has been the leader in the drive to make the material handling industry as efficient as possible. Over time, Jungheinrich engineers have created outstanding energy efficiency throughout the entire machine. It has been tested time and time again, with Jungheinrich machines, the battery is able to last two full shifts off of one battery charge in typical applications.
This type of battery length stem for the 3-Phase AC Motors that are featured in all of the Jungheinrich electric machines to provide increased efficiency. The output AC controller coupled with the powerful AC Drive Motor started development back in 1996 and is continues to be tested and improved. These two components were designed together by Jungheinrich to maximize performance and energy efficiency. It is these features that have lead Jungheinrich to become a worldwide AC leader in the material handling industry.
A unique energy efficient feature on Jungheinrich machines is the advanced regenerative braking system. This system allows for the recovery of up to 20% every time the operator takes his foot off the accelerator. Going along with the regenerative braking is the optional regenerative lowering system. This system is able to reclaim up to 30% of energy required to raise the mast every time it is lowered. With these types of regenerative energy savings it makes every 4th lift free to the user.
With all the energy efficiency features that Jungheinrich has introduced in its machines, it has allowed them to become one of the leaders in global warehouse logistics. The benefits of longer run times, fewer batteries, and less time charging and changing batteries are all factors in making your operation more efficient and increasing the bottom line. It is Jungheinrich and Fallsway’s guarantee that these machine batteries will run longer than any others on the market with the efficiency that has been created.
Fallsway Equipment carries a full lineup of Jungheinrich forklifts, contact us for more information about products or purchasing today.